Sundried Tomatoes and Fried OIive Cake
2 cups cooked Freekeh (cracked grain only)
500ml chicken stock
100g kalamata olives (rough chopped)
100g semi dried tomatoes (rough chopped)
100g grated parmesan
salt, pepper, garlic (optional), chopped assorted fresh herbs (optional)
- Bring chicken stock to the boil and slowly add Freekeh in a steady stream.
- Over a low flame, stirring regularly, continue to cook the mixture 15-20 minutes.
- Take the mixture off the heat and add olives, tomatoes and butter and mix well. Add cream and cheese and season to taste. Note: Garlic or herbs may be used as well at this point.
- Grease a suitable mould and pack wheat mix in tightly. Cover with buttered grease proof paper and cook at 180ºC until golden brown.
- Ideally serve as a garnish with Mediterranean style chicken or char-grilled steak. For this recipe the Freekeh was cooked in a small cake tin. The mixture was 3 cm high and portioned into 12 wedges.