Chicken, Freekeh, Silverbeet and Lemon soup
This recipe reposted from 1=2 blog with permission
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 chicken legs, skin on
2 large carrots, peeled, finely chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
4 heaped cups reserved cooked freekeh and onion mixture (see above recipe)
8 cups chicken stock, home-made or store-bought (plus extra if required)
1 bunch silverbeet (Swiss chard), 8-10 stalks, green part only, finely shredded
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
Salt and freshly-cracked black pepper
Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan and fry chicken legs over a medium heat, turning, for 10 minutes, until browned.
- Add carrot, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, reserved cooked freekeh and onion mixtureand stock. Mix well.
*Note: we like our soup thick. Feel free to add more stock as required.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer gently, covered, for 40 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Add silverbeet and simmer, covered, for a further 20 minutes.
- Using tongs, place chicken legs on a board. With two forks shred the meat from the bones. Discard bones and skin. Return shredded meat to the soup.
- Add lemon juice and season to taste (if using store-bought stock, the soup may be salty enough).
Serve, with lemon wedges for squeezing.