Freekeh and Mushroom Style Risotto
100ml Olive oil
1 Leek (trimmed, cleaned and finely sliced)
50g Oyster mushrooms, chopped
50g Button mushrooms, chopped
50g Swiss brown mushrooms, chopped
50g Shitake mushrooms, chopped
50g Shimeji mushrooms, chopped
50 Enoki mushrooms, chopped
20g Parsley, finely chopped
2 Cloves garlic, chopped
1Lt Chicken stock
1 Onion, peeled and chopped
250g Freekeh (whole)
Salt and black pepper
Cream to adjust consistency
- Heat 50g of the butter and the oil and sauté the leek, add the chopped mushroom over low heat and cook for 5-10 minutes. Stir in parsley and garlic and set aside.
- Bring chicken stock to the boil and keep on low simmer.
- Add remaining 50g of butter and oil and sauté the onion until soft but not coloured, and the wheat and stir well to coat the grains in oil.
- When the wheat starts to sick to the bottom, pour in the boiling chicken stock, a ladle at a time, stirring constantly adding more stock when the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue in this manner until all the stock has been used.
- Add the mushroom mix into the wheat risotto and continue to cook for a few minutes allowing it to heat through.
- The mixture can be made creamy by adding cream, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve risotto plain or with shaved parmesan cheese and fresh basil.