Freekeh Salad with Mixed Nuts and Roasted Tomatoes
This recipe reposted from 1=2 blog with permission.
4 large Roma tomatoes, halved 1 tablespoon olive oil for brushing
2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
2 large red (purple/Spanish) onions, finely chopped
1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
100g Cracked Greenwheat Freekeh, soaked in 2 1/2 cups water for 15 minutes, drained (note: you’ll be reserving half the cooked freekeh/onion/garlic for the soup, see below recipe)
4 cups water, extra
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
1/2 cup (70g) slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup (70g) walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
50g (1 3/4 oz) baby spinach leaves
1/2 – 1 cup each roughly chopped mint and parsley
Lemon pomegranate dressing:
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses, warmed (replace with honey if unavailable)
(Serves 8 for two meals)
- Preheat oven to 160C (320F).
- Place tomatoes, cut side up, onto a tray lined with baking paper. Brush each with olive oil, and roast for 1 hour. Carefully turn each tomato over and roast for a further 25 minutes to allow the juices to drain off. Remove, cut each in half and set aside.
- Heat extra oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes, until just fragrant (onion needn’t be completely soft).
- Add prepared cracked freekeh and mix well. Add water. Bring to the boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Spread out on a tray (or 2 large plates) to dry for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Combine lemon juice, zest, olive oil and pomegranate molasses in a screw-top jar and shake well until combined. Set aside.
- Reserve half of the cooked freekeh and onion mixture (4 heaped cups) for the Chicken, freekeh, silverbeet and lemon soup.
- Place remaining cooked freekeh and onion mixture in a large bowl. Add prepared dressing and mix well. Add salt, pepper, nuts, spinach and chopped herbs and toss lightly to combine. Arrange roasted tomatoes on top and serve.